Wednesday 9 January 2013

My Collection of old Doors/Door Backdrop

So I like old Doors.  I've been collecting them for awhile.  I've driven to the Pass (1.5hours) and I even got one in Utah from my cousin Patty.  They came in all shapes, sizes, colours, and condition.  
We went to Patty's (the handy-woman Patty) garage (which is heated) and painted them all in a morning.  Scott has these cool things called door stackers that you screw into the top and bottom of the doors and they become handles and stack/spacers.  So you rest the stacker on to tables, paint one side of the door, lift with the handles, flip the door and paint the other side.  Then move the door to the floor.  Do the next one, but then you just engage the stacker of the previous door.  They all stack together to dry but don't take up your whole garage.  Brilliant invention, door stackers.  
We also sanded the side we were planning to use.  We left the other side just painted (that way if we decide to use them again and don't want to weathered look we are good to go)


Love the arched door!
Have used that one before in a couple of weddings!

came from a Hutterite colony

This green door also has a full length mirror on the back.
We loved the swinging clothes hanger (as you will see later)



This door becomes a table top


So once they were all dried (didn't take very long), we decided what order they would go in.  We put the wide Hutterite Door in the middle.  Then the 2 window doors on either side and worked our way out.



Once we got the order the way we liked it, we numbered the doors from one end to the next 1-9.











Then we started hinging them together.  Some of the doors hinges worked, others we had to add new hinges.  So once they were all hinged together we took it all apart, taping hinge pins to the hinges.  We transported all the doors back to my garage ready for the wedding.




 We had our Family Dinner and Reception in the same building.  So we put the head table up and took it down for the reception.  The receiving line was in front of the doors.  


 So we just lined the doors up in their order and hinged them together.  Then the fun part of putting things on the doors.  I made some ruffled wreaths, adding brooches.  
We layered frames, added lace.  
On the swinging clothes hanger I hung Kelsey's blessing dress and baptism dress (actually all 3 of my girls wore the same dresses).


Dresses


 This is the radiator table.  I got the 2 antique radiators at the same salvage store that I got the mantel.  They came out of the Jasper Place building in Edmonton.  We connected the table to the radiators so it would tip/move.  I had glass cut to fit into the panels of the door.  This was the table that we used for the food.  Under the glass I had found some mini post cards of Paris at Potterybarn with cute vintage envelopes, so we put them under the glass.  The table was also covered with  doilies, layered trays, some resting on vintage scales.  The basket of flowers was a vintage baby bassinet that I got at my favorite antique store, Station 8 in Columbia Falls MT, which by the way was where I had seen this idea of radiator/door table.  I also saw the crinoline lights there as well (I'll show those in a future post).


 I had a couple more doors at the reception that I'll show in future posts. 








3 comments:

  1. The reception looked GORGEOUS! More photos please! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked up some doors! Then saw this on pintrest. My jaw hit the floor!

    ReplyDelete